Search This Blog

Monday, October 14, 2019

Blossoms...those times! First time at India's largest second hand book store...


Inside Blossoms - Image from Wikipedia by CamilleaM1FLERéunion


January 2014, Bengaluru

The first time I visited this place which was suggested to me by a colleague at work, I made a heavy weather of the conveyance. I trusted city buses instead of the quicker metro and finally got down at Mayo Hall Bus stop. The Church street on a saturday evening was all the more confusing - is seemed like an eternal celebration of life! After a cursory glance at the small pillar (if I could take the luxury to call it as such) paying glorious tribute to British Indian troops (especially from the erstwhile provinces of Madras and Mysore) of First World War, I set out for Blossoms!

Neatly tucked away in a side lane, unmindful of the noisy humdrum of the MG Road, to a first time visitor like me - the most distinguishing feature of Blossoms is it's invisibility! Neat piles of books including the one on Hindusim by Wendy Dongier (at that point of time, the book was yet to be banned in India) greeted me at the entrance. Blossoms, the much beloved and popular Independent book store of Bengaluru selling new and used books alike is touted as India's largest second hand book store.

Despite the visible simplicity, the diverse class of people visiting Blossoms and the sheer scale of this shop (three storey building - piles of books neatly classified on three floors) amazed me. The staff are very helpful - in the sense that they'd never bother a browsing introvert like me unless I approach them first for any help - a rare trait that I liked. The store was packed - youngsters skimming through English novels and classics, few parents dealing with their nagging children in kids section and elders in quest of some rare books willingly helped by the staff! The Godfather by Mario Puzo was my first purchase. The prices are very affordable. The space appeared cramped, but that did not matter as one could simply lose oneself for hours here.

During my next visit to the shop, I was more wiser - I took the metro from Bayappanahalli. I made some more visits, each time returning with some good books. I do miss Blossoms ....and those times.








Blossoms is an Independent book store at Church Street, Bengaluru started by Mr. Mayi Gowda in 2001.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/W2MZgH4wA3GHmSd76

No comments:

Post a Comment